Job Title: Bookkeeper
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
The Jewish Federation of Western Massachusetts cares for Jews in need and creates a vibrant Jewish life in Western Massachusetts, Israel and around the globe. Through our community building and fundraising efforts, Federation supports vital educational and social service programs in Western Massachusetts, Israel and around the world.
The Jewish Federation of Western Massachusetts welcomes the participation of interfaith couples and families, and people of all abilities, backgrounds and sexual orientations.
General Job Description: Performs daily accounting activities such as maintaining the general ledger, preparing various accounting statements and financial reports. Responsible for all accounts payable entries and processes all checks. Responsible for all accounts receivable entries, and bank deposits. Balances checking accounts. Prepares and mails quarterly statements for endowment funds. Assists CFO with the audit and other accounting functions as needed. Some flexibility to work remotely.
- Prepare donor pledge statements and perform various collection activities.
- Assist CFO with cash flow analysis and projections.
- Assist CFO with annual budget preparation.
- Prepare and post journal entries.
- Review monthly investment portfolio reconciliations.
- Complete work papers for various tax related forms.
- Process credit cards.
- Manage postage account.
- Serve as backup for payroll processing.
- Assist CFO in maintaining internal controls and developing accounting policies.
- Maintain accounting related files and vendor information.
- Work collaboratively with program directors.
- Perform various financial reconciliations.
Strong interpersonal and writing skills. Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and adhere to deadlines. Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a mission driven organization and deliver top-level service to all constituents.
Education: Associate degree required. Bachelor’s degree in accounting preferred.
Experience: Minimum of two to three (2 to 3) years accounting experience in a not-for-profit environment. Experience with community foundations a plus. Experience with nonprofit constituent management software, particularly Raiser’s Edge or Blackbaud CRM, preferred.
Key Competencies: Looking for a highly organized problem solver who is able to work in a fast-paced organization, has experience with Word, Outlook and Financial Edge. Must be proficient in Excel.
The Jewish Federation of Western Massachusetts is an equal opportunity employer.