Jewish Endowment Foundation Associate Position
As a Jewish Endowment Foundation Associate, you will play a vital role in supporting and furthering the mission of our organization. Your primary responsibility will be to support the volunteer and professional leadership of the Jewish Endowment Foundation to promote their ability to manage and administer the funds, create and maintain planned giving initiatives and programs, and steward donors to ensure the JEF’s growth, sustainability, and alignment with the values of the Jewish community. Your commitment to fostering strong relationships with donors, beneficiaries, and community members will be critical to the success of our work. This position will report to the Director of the Jewish Endowment Foundation (not yet hired) and in the interim will report to the Chief Executive Officer.
The JEF is a division of the JFWM established in 1972 to develop, manage and maintain funds for the benefit of the Jewish Federation of Western Massachusetts’ (JFWM’s) Annual Campaign, in addition to other funding needs of the community and its partner agencies. Among the funds of JEF, donors established Perpetual Annual Campaign Endowment (PACE) Funds which provide an ongoing annual income stream to JFWM. Over the years, JEF has expanded to include additional categories of funds, including agency advised funds, donor advised funds, and restricted purpose funds that provide money for Scholarships, Israel Study & Travel, Jewish Education, Professional Development, Missions, Social Justice, Holocaust Education, and Israel. In addition, unrestricted funds support internal operations and provide grants to local organizations for a variety of purposes.
Since 2008, Harold Grinspoon Foundation and JEF have partnered on the Create a Jewish Legacy Program (CJL) of Western Massachusetts. CJL is an educational program for agencies and donors focusing on the importance of legacy giving. For agencies/synagogues the CJL program provides training on asking for legacy gifts, tracking and stewarding those donors. The CJL program also helps donors in creating legacy gifts.
The mission of JFWM, as the region’s central Jewish communal organization, is to ensure the continuity and well-being of a vibrant Jewish community within Western Massachusetts, the United States of America, Israel and the world. Guided by the values of Torah (Jewish learning), Klal Yisrael (the responsibility of each Jew for another), Tikkun Olam (repairing the world) and Tzedakah (justice, righteousness and philanthropy), JFWM, together with its local and worldwide partners, educates and advocates for and supports Jews locally, nationally and internationally, and the State of Israel as the Jewish Homeland.
- Operational Support:
- Support the Jewish Endowment Foundation Chair and Board of Trustees by preparing meeting materials, sending meeting invitations and reminders, and taking notes.
- Prepare communications using provided templates for letters, reports, and emails.
- Coordinate and support the Fund Review Committee in reviewing fund documents to ensure that we are fulfilling the donors’ intentions.
2. Grantmaking and Beneficiary Support:
- Support the grantmaking processes to ensure that funding is distributed to organizations and causes according to the guidelines and requirements of each fund and/or grant process.
- Collaborate with grantees to assess the impact of their programs and maintain open lines of communication.
3. Donor Relations:
- Maintain strong relationships with volunteers, donors, philanthropists, and stakeholders within the Jewish community.
- Provide exceptional donor stewardship by expressing gratitude, acknowledging contributions, and keeping donors informed about the impact of their gifts.
- Respond to donor inquiries and requests promptly and professionally, ensuring a positive donor experience.
4. Community Outreach and Engagement:
- Participate in community events, conferences, and meetings to raise awareness about the foundation’s work and philanthropic opportunities.
- Support volunteer and professional leaders’ collaboration with community leaders, synagogues, and other Jewish organizations to identify potential donors and establish partnerships.
5. Compliance and Reporting:
- Comply with all legal and regulatory requirements in the performance of duties as assigned.
- Review and distribute regular reports on fund performance, donation activity, and other relevant metrics for internal and external stakeholders.
- Commitment to maintaining the highest ethical standards and confidentiality in handling donor information.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to engage effectively with donors, colleagues, and community members.
- Exceptional organizational skills with a keen attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Knowledge of Jewish traditions, customs, and values, with understanding and respect for the diverse needs and interests within the Jewish community.
- Demonstrated passion for philanthropy and dedication to making a positive impact on the community.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g., non-profit management, finance, business administration, Jewish studies) is preferred.
- Previous experience in fundraising, planned giving, endowment management, or a related field is highly desirable.
This is a full-time position based in our office, with occasional evening and weekend work required to attend board meetings, professional development, community events, and donor engagements. The position may involve occasional travel.
Join our team and be part of a dynamic organization that strives to support and strengthen the Jewish community through impactful philanthropy and planned giving initiatives. Together, we can create a lasting legacy of generosity and compassion for generations to come.
For more information or to apply, contact CEO Nora Gorenstein.
The Jewish Federation of Western Massachusetts welcomes the participation of interfaith couples and families, and people of all abilities, backgrounds and sexual orientations. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.