The Jewish Federation of Western Massachusetts cares for Jews in need and creates a vibrant Jewish life in Western Massachusetts, Israel and around the globe. Through our community building and fundraising efforts, Federation supports vital educational and social service programs in Western Massachusetts, Israel and around the world.
The Jewish Federation of Western Massachusetts welcomes the participation of interfaith couples and families, and people of all abilities, backgrounds and sexual orientations.
General Job Description: Performs daily accounting activities such as maintaining the general ledger, preparing various accounting statements and financial reports. Responsible for all accounts payable entries, and processes all checks. Responsible all accounts receivable entries, and bank deposits. Balances checking accounts. Prepares and mails quarterly statements for endowment funds. Assists CFO with the annual audit and other accounting functions as needed.
- Prepare donor pledge statements and perform various collection activities.
- Assist CFO with cash flow analysis and projections.
- Assist CFO with annual budget preparation.
- Prepare and post journal entries.
- Review monthly investment portfolio reconciliations.
- Complete work papers for various tax related forms.
- Process credit cards
- Manage postage account.
- Serve as backup for payroll processing.
- Assist CFO in maintaining internal controls, and developing accounting policies.
- Maintain accounting related files and vendor information.
- Work collaboratively with program directors.
- Perform various financial reconciliations.
Strong interpersonal and writing skills. Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and adhere to deadlines. Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a mission driven organization and deliver top-level service to all constituents.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in accounting preferred.
Experience: Minimum of five years accounting experience relevant to a not for profit organization.
Key Competencies: Experience with Excel, Word and Outlook, required. Experience with Financial Edge accounting software and nonprofit constituent management software, particularly Raiser’s Edge or Blackbaud CRM, preferred. Basic understanding of GAAP.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position.